One of the local farms my family frequents is harvesting its herb crop. The bounty includes sprigs of cilantro, leaves of parsley, and stems of basil.
Do you grow an herb garden? Whether you plant herbs on raised beds in your backyard, planters on your deck, or pots on your kitchen counter, one thing is for sure. There is no dearth of herbs this time of year!
To ensure that you make the most of this growing season, implement these tips for incorporating herbs into diverse recipes:
1. Sprinkle a handful of finely sliced chives on scrambled eggs.
2. Tear basil leaves into spring mix or your other favorite salad greens.
3. As you knead pizza dough, add leaves of oregano into the dough.
4. Chop parsley leaves and sprinkle them onto roasted asparagus spears.
5. Add two tablespoons of thinly sliced cilantro to your favorite guacamole recipe.
6. Prepare basil ice cubes by incorporating equal parts water and a chiffonade of basil to ice cube trays. Also, check out my post on healthful hydration for more suggestions for herb-infused waters and ice cubes.
7. Prepare herbed butter by combining a single clove of garlic, four tablespoons of salted butter, and sprigs of thyme.
8. Stir finely sliced chives into sour cream to create a topping for baked potatoes or zucchini pancakes.
9. Chop up a few teaspoons of thyme and incorporate into your favorite shortbread recipe.
10. Chiffonade basil and add to a fruit salad consisting of watermelon, cantaloupe and pineapple.
11. Stir leaves of oregano into a few ounces of goat cheese and enjoy over salad.
12. Top chicken or fish tacos with cilantro leaves.
13. Add parsley to the breading mixture for baked chicken tenders or fish fillets.
14. Tear leaves of basil into steamed peas.
15. Sprinkle chopped parsley onto roasted potatoes, smashed potatoes, or mashed potatoes (polenta works too!)
What’s your favorite herb? How do you incorporate herbs into your diet?
Until Next Week…Plan Well, Pack Well, Live Well,
If you found what you read compelling, please consider:
Forwarding this blog post to a friend and encouraging him or her to follow me at: www.letseatlunch.wordpress.com
Liking this blog post.
Sharing this blog post on social media.