The following 10 suggestions require the engagement of your visual perception, your olfactory sense, and your palette in order to deduce authentic olive oils from fraudulent ones. Put these helpful hints into practice and approach the olive oil aisle in the grocery store with finesse:
- Scan the label for an expiration date and a harvest date. These two pieces of information verify the quality of the product.
- Scan the label for information pertaining to where the olive oil was obtained from. According to Durante Cuomo of DeRomo’s Gourmet Market, “A lot of olive oil may say it was packed in Italy, but not made in Italy. You need to know who makes the olive oil.”
- Ensure that the olive oil is transparent. To that end, the product should not be cloudy in appearance.
- The olive oil should be housed in a bottle that is opaque and does not reflect light.
- Olive oil ranging in the color spectrum from sunshine to forest green is preferable.
- Take note of the scent of the olive oil after you’ve purchased it by twisting the bottle in a spiraling pattern in order to smell the aroma.
- Judging by the scent of the olive oil, decide prior to preparing a meal with it whether or not it is quality. According to Neuman Cuomo of DeRomo’s Gourmet Market, “If it’s good it should either have an olive smell, green or grassy, or like a riper fruity olive. If it smells like crayon, tire tread or shoe leather, those are bad smells. Close the bottle, take it back to the store and get a refund.”
- Trust your palette to adapt different food pairings with olive oil. Certain appetizers, salads, and entrées pair especially well with certain types of olive oils.
- Let your tastebuds determine the nutritional quality of the olive oil. According to Neuman Cuomo of DeRomo’s Gourmet Market, “Rancid oil is not healthy for you. It’s full of oxidation.”
- Refer to the following website in order to glean further knowledge about purchasing authentic olive oils: truthinoliveoil.com
Do you have a favorite bottle of olive oil, or a go-to recipe that just isn’t the same without this product’s earthy flavor?
Until Next Week… Plan Well, Pack Well, Live Well,