For me, September has always represented the quintessential fall day: beautiful colored leaves, the crisp autumn air, and, of course, apples. This is just about the time of year when it starts to feel like you have apples galore! So below you’ll find a few tips and tricks to jazz up the ordinary apple into something extraordinary!
1. Create an edible apple bowl for your oatmeal…core the apple, place your oatmeal inside, and bake (Newcomer)!
2. Add sliced apple to the pan the next time you saute onions…the resulting dish will be a marriage made in heaven (Newcomer)!
3. Dice apple (particularly Granny Smith) and toss it into a salad with spinach, blue cheese, nuts, (I enjoy walnuts) and balsamic vinaigrette…yum (Newcomer)!
4. Add them to salsa to add a little sweetness to a spicy flavor (Newcomer)!
5. Slice them the long way and bake them in the oven. The result? Crunchy apple chips (Newcomer).
6. Make an apple smoothie (Newcomer).
7. If you suffer from migraines or severe headaches, studies show that the scent of an apple can dissipate symptoms and alleviate pain… it’s worth a try (Newcomer)!
8. Having a dinner party and your soup or sauce comes out a touch too salty? Toss in a few sliced apples to the mixture, stir them around for a bit, and then remove before serving. The apple will “magically” take away that overpowering salty flavor (Newcomer)!
9. Bake homemade apple cinnamon bread (Newcomer).
10. Dice them and put them in a frittata or quiche for a yummy autumn breakfast (Newcomer).
11. Prepare a homemade chicken marinade with apple, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and a variety of your favorite spices (Newcomer).
12. Thinly slice them and insert them into your favorite sandwich…they go just as well in a peanut-butter and jelly as they do in a turkey and cheese sandwich (Newcomer).
I hope that you enjoy these quick ideas and let me know how your apple masterpieces turn out!
Until Next Week… Plan Well, Pack Well, Live Well,
Newcomer, Laura. Greatist. Greatist. 8 November 2012. Web. 8 August 2013. <http://greatist.com/health/surprising-ways-use-leftover-apples>